Decadent Brownies… With a Healthy Surprise!
Article revised on 5 July 2017
Feeling like a chocolaty guilt-free treat? Whip up a batch of these delicious brownies. You may be surprised by one of the ingredients!
- 540-ml (19-oz) can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 eggs
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) cocoa
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) oil
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) cocoa (optional, for decoration)
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Position a baking rack in the middle of the oven.
- Grease and flour parchment paper lining a 15 x 20-cm (6 x 8-inch) pan. Allow lengthwise overhang of the parchment paper for easy removal of the brownies.
- Purée the black beans in a food processor. With the motor running, add the eggs, cocoa, sugar, oil and vanilla through the opening in the lid. Scrape the sides with a rubber spatula as required and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Sprinkle with cocoa using a fine strainer.
Nutritional value (8 servings):
Calories 252, Fat 11 g, Sodium 87 mg, Fibre 6 g, Carbs 20 g, Protein 8 g
Recipe courtesy of Geneviève O’Gleman, Registered Dietician (www.genevieveogleman.com)
The Viva Workplace health and wellness program is a turnkey program that’s specially designed to meet employers’ needs with regard to health and wellness promotion and prevention.