5 Reasons to Have Legal Access Insurance
Article revised on 15 December 2017
Believe it or not, Legal Access Insurance is a coverage designed for everyone!! Why? Because even reasonable law‑abiding citizens can sometimes run into legal trouble. Don’t think it’s worth paying for Legal Access Insurance? We explain why you might be surprised to discover how helpful this small investment could turn out be!
1. Legal problems don’t just happen to other people
Every year, hundreds of thousands of people across Quebec have to deal with legal problems of some kind. Most of them are citizens acting on good faith. Then suddenly one day, they’re victims of workplace harassment, a medical error or identity theft, or they have problems with the neighbours, find a latent defect in their home, deal with an incapacitated parent, etc.
These are just a few examples of legal problems that can pop up unexpectedly and cause you problems that end up being costly….unless you have Legal Access Insurance.
2. If you’re a member of the middle class, you don’t have access to the free services of a Legal Aid lawyer
But this doesn’t mean you have the financial means to pay for all the costs that can result from legal problems! Lawyer and notary fees, professional fees, arbitration expenses and court costs can quickly put a major dent in your wallet.
3. Legal Access Insurance is a small investment with a big return
For a very low cost (about $1 a week), Legal Access Insurance provides invaluable help and financial support! It includes the partial reimbursement of expenses incurred to defend your rights or to have access to the services of the proper professional (lawyer or notary) of your choosing when necessary. It covers your spouse and children residing under your roof at no extra cost. What’s more, Legal Access Insurance claims won’t increase your insurance premiums!
4. Legal Access Insurance covers a wide range of legal issues
Most Legal Access Insurance coverages offered on the market cover problems involving all fields of law:
- Consumer issues (e.g. latent defects, poor construction or renovation work carried out by contractors)
- Bodily injury or property damage (e.g. injuries sustained during sporting or social events , slipping and falling on ice)
- Property and ownership (e.g. Problems with neighbours)
- Income security (e.g. In case of disability or workplace accident)
- The workplace (e.g. harassment, wrongful dismissal)
5. Legal Access Insurance can also help you in a number of other situations
- Drawing up a will or mandate of incapacity
- Homologation of a mandate in case of incapacity
- Settlement the insured’s estate
- Family mediation, when the sessions government funded are insufficient
If you’re faced with one of these situations, your Legal Access Insurance will reimburse a portion of the lawyer or notary consultation fees, or family mediator fees.
Recommended by the Barreau du Québec, Legal Access Insurance is the perfect complement to your home and auto insurance! Learn more from your insurer so that you can be well prepared in the event of legal problems!
Looking for Home insurance?
Find out more about the coverages that we can tailor to your needs.