What you need to know to save on your motorcycle insurance
Article revised on 12 November 2018
As soon as spring arrives, motorcycle enthusiasts are already starting to dream about their next adventure on Quebec roads. To get the season off on the right foot, make sure you’re adequately covered and follow our tips to save some money!
Insurance for bodily injury sustained in an accident falls under Quebec’s public automobile insurance plan. The SAAQ processes claims for compensation.
However, compensation for property damage must be paid under a private insurance plan. The Quebec Automobile Insurance Act requires a minimum of $50,000 of liability insurance. This insurance provides coverage for bodily injury or property damage caused to third parties in the event of an accident.
Insurers also offer the following coverages:
- Collision or upset, which covers damage caused by a collision for which you are responsible or when you are the victim of a hit-and-run
- Comprehensive, which covers damage such as fire, theft, vandalism and glass breakage.
- Various perils, which is the less costly alternative to Comprehensive. However, the coverage provided is less extensive and does not include vandalism and glass breakage, among other things.
What’s more, insurers generally propose a premium that takes into account the fact that you use your motorcycle on a seasonal basis. That means that you don’t have to cancel your motorcycle insurance policy in the fall and have it reissued in the spring! You can go out for a ride anytime between March 15 and October 15 without worrying about your insurance.
3 ways to save on your motorcycle insurance
- Take a driver education course
Insurers offer an additional premium reduction to clients who receive training at a SAAQ-recognized driving school. Put your theoretical knowledge to the test with this online questionnaire.
- Join a club
Inform your insurer if you are a member of a motorcycle club or association. Your membership might entitle you to attractive discounts!
- Adjust your coverage based on your needs:
- Increase your deductibles if you would like to decrease your premium.
- Eliminate the Collision benefit if your vehicle has low market value.
- Choose the Various Perils benefit instead of Vandalism coverage: It is a less costly solution, because the coverage is less extensive.
Looking for Recreational and Leisure Vehicle insurance?
Find out more about the benefits La Capitale has to offer!