Baked Brie With Pesto and Caramelized Apricots
Article revised on 5 July 2017
Baked brie makes a fantastic appetizer and is an absolute crowd pleaser when paired with a cocktail. When it comes to toppings, give your imagination free rein! I went for a sweet and salty combo in the recipe below. Your guests will eat it up! The flavour peaks when the brie is mingled with the pesto and caramelized apricots. You’ll want to make this one again and again!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Soy nut pesto
- 750 ml (3 cups) fresh basil leaves
- Pinch of fleur de sel
- 2 cloves garlic
- 125 ml (½ cup) roasted soy nuts
- 180 ml (¾ cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 125 ml (½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- Few drops of lime juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 350-gram wheel of brie cheese
- 10 dried apricots, chopped
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) honey
- Preheat oven to 200°C (~ 390°F).
- Combine the basil, salt, garlic and soy nuts in a food processor and pulse until the leaves are finely chopped and the soy nuts crushed.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add half of the Parmesan cheese.
- Add extra virgin olive oil in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Add the remaining Parmesan cheese and enough olive oil to achieve the desired consistency.
- Season with a little lime juice and freshly ground pepper.
- Place the brie on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Top with pesto, apricots and honey.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Serve with melba toast or slices of French bread.
Hubert’s tip: To increase the protein and fibre content, I like to substitute roasted soy nuts for the pine nuts that are contained in classic pesto. Soy nuts contain twice more protein than fat, which makes them a very nutritious choice.
Nutritional values (per serving)
Fat: 25 g
Saturated fat: 9.1 g
Cholesterol: 42 mg
Sodium: 374 mg
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fibre: 1 g
Protein: 12 g
The Viva Workplace health and wellness program is a turnkey program that’s specially designed to meet employers’ needs with regard to health and wellness promotion and prevention.