Got a Cold or the Flu?
Article revised on 15 June 2017
Old Man Winter is knocking on the door, and the influenza virus is lurking behind. If you have already had a bout of the flu, it’s not likely to be one of your fond memories. That’s because flu symptoms tend to be more severe than those of the common cold. Yet, we often say that we have a cold when, in fact, we have the flu.
For help in distinguishing between the two, refer to the table below:
To protect yourself and prevent the spread of the flu…
- Get a flu shot.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Cough and sneeze into the bend of your arm, not into your hand.
- Try to avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Clean and disinfect things and surfaces that a lot of people touch, like doorknobs and TV remotes, keyboards, computer mice…
- Keep your immune system strong by eating healthy foods and being physically active!
The Viva Workplace health and wellness program is a turnkey program that’s specially designed to meet employers’ needs with regard to health and wellness promotion and prevention.